Quote 1- "As I read the research, I was alarmed by how our teen Latinas are topping the charts for all sorts of at-risk behaviors: From teen pregnancy to substance abuse to dropping out of High School. What is going on?" Page 6~ Paragraph 2~ Narrator
Significance- I think this quote relates to the question; What hardships do the characters endure as they make a new life? I think it relates because it's referring to how Latina girls are doing inappropriate or bad things. This could be hardships as they come to America.
Personal connection- I personally connect to this because you hear everywhere now a days about young people getting pregnant. Also people from other countries maybe don't know as much about America and they do things such as drugs or get pregnant.
Question 1- What question do you think my quote best follows? (Questions from the list Ms. Abbassi gave us.)
Quote 2- "In fact, our country of Addison now has 400 illegal Mexican migrant workers doing the milking jobs on dairy farms that would go under if this cheap and round-the-clock workforce were deported." Page 13~ Paragraph 5~ Narrator
Significance- I think this quote relates to the question; How do the Americans treat the characters? This may not specifically relate to the characters in the book but it relates to their culture. I think this shows how Americans treat the Mexican culture by using them as labor workers and things to do around their house. It shows what it is like to live their and to know how your same kind is treated and it's hard to try to fit in.
Personal Connection- I personally connect to this quote because all around us you see mainly different raced people working for white people. Either as labor workers, house keepers, nanny's or anything. From my view I think they are mainly Mexican and this is how it relates to the quote.
Question 2- What do you think "cheap and round-the-clock workforce were deported" means in the quote?
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Once Upon A Quinceanera Post 1
Posted by soccer13_babii at 1:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like the way you show that it was hard for the young latina girls to try to fit in with other different races, because its shows how hard it is for the girl to try to blend in and not be stand out person ~Bia~
~Quote 1~ I like how you chose a quote that really helps put the current reality of young female hispanics into perspective. This is not only something that applies to the book, but also the real world.
~Question 1~ I might even categorize this with the question "How do Americans treat the characters?" I say this because this is a statistic about the people in America. So, down the road they are eventually more accepted into the U.S
~Quote 2~ I liked how you chose this quote because I think this is something that is really important in the present day. A lot of illegal immigrants are working the smaller jobs.
~Question 2~ I think it means jobs that require many hours and little pay
*Francesca*
Post a Comment