CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Journal #8 from the perspective of Atticus

It is September and the sun still rages from noon until well into the evening. The kids still sleep on the back porch, their summer tradition. From time to time, I hear them talking at night. Jem is at a weird age right now and I must say Scout is too. Jem seems to be more sensitive than ever contrary to the fact that he tries to convince us he’s a man now. Well, Scout just seems to be curious about anything, she wants answers. Sometimes, I wonder how much Scout really knows. The night I went with Cal to the Robinson’s, Scout and Dill went too. It happened in plain view, she simply fainted and they both saw. I reckon Dill told Scout since he’s been fancying her all these years. But as the school year returns, so do the usual questions about Boo Radley. Although now, I think they are more sensible. Jem has entered High School and him and Scout are in separate buildings. Now that the Tom Robinson case has blown over, I am happy that they will witness no more ridicule and persecution from the other children.

One night, I overheard Jem and Scout talking. It was about her teacher, Miss Gates. She did not understand how her teacher could teach one thing and demonstrate another. Then, she brought up the case. Jem yelled at her so loud I am surprised she did not cry. He told her never to bring up that court case again. I almost went in there but decided against it as I watched Scout walk out the door. She was silent and crawled into my lap. I thought it fit to let her know she was getting pretty big herself. I told her as simply as I could. Jem was just putting the situation away from him. From my assessment, it is just human nature, it is what Mayella did as well.

Bob Ewell most definitely has not faded away yet. He seems to be giving the town some trouble nowadays and it only leads to his inconveniences. He obtained a job only to lose it a few days after for being too lazy. When Helen Robinson got a job, she passed by his house and on occasion he would follow her. She complained to Link Deas, her employer, and he threatened Bob himself. Moreover, Judge Taylor heard a man in his house when he was all alone one night who is allegedly thought to by Bob Ewell. The pauper is still causing trouble.

0 comments: